What do Startup Tech Leaders need to Know about APIs? Listen now to this MovingFast Tech podcast featuring Jason Harmon, CTO from Stoplight.io
Posted 7 months ago by Anke Corbin
An API, or Application Programming Interface, is a set of rules and protocols for building software and applications. It specifies how software components should interact and allows for communication between different systems. APIs can be used to allow third-party developers to access certain features or data of an application or service, enabling them to build their own applications that integrate with it.
Tech startups can use APIs in a variety of ways to expand their reach, improve their products and services, and increase their revenue. APIs enable startups to leverage the capabilities of other systems, services, and platforms to improve their own products and services, increase their distribution and revenue, and expand their ecosystem.
In this MovingFast Tech podcast, we interviewed Jason Harmon, the CTO from Stoplight.io. Stoplight is a fast-growing software company focused on helping companies Design, Document & Build APIs Faster and develop quality APIs with collaborative API-first design.
Jason answered in-depth questions about how APIs can be a boon for software startups, including:
– Can an early startup benefit from platforms and tooling for design and development of APIs?
– What are the benefits (short-term and long-term) that a startup could expect from applying API platforms and toolsets?
– What are some of the top trends specific to APIs and software development that you’re seeing?
– What are the steps you recommend to tech startups so they are effective in their approach to APIs from day 1?
– How can startups build APIs for the future, but consider the immediate need for urgency to deliver at the same time? And how can they build on these later?
– Clarifying OpenAPI and its value
Jason has spent the last decade focused on APIs and solving API problems, As the CTO at Stoplight, he leads a talented team that’s specially equipped to develop tools to solve the software industry’s API design problems.
Each MovingFast Tech Podcast powered by profiq features industry leaders in the trenches talking about what they are working on to stay ahead, the most disruptive new technologies, and their biggest challenges related to fast moving technology. Topics we discuss include progressive programming languages, deployment techniques, AI and machine learning, and more.